Monday, September 19, 2016

I'm Just Me...

Most people compare themselves to those around them. I know I do.  Social Media, specifically Facebook, makes these comparisons even more difficult for me.  Everyone posts their happy pictures, bright moments of their lives and all the great things that are happening.  Rarely do we get a true glimpse of the struggle and challenges.  All of these happy moments make it easy for me to feel like my life does not measure up to what I see on Twitter and Facebook.  I have not created a chat, written a book or started a business.

These are some of the comparisons that I am struggling with right now.
  • Husband gets to sleep. I'm up with the baby.
  • Classroom teacher has prep, but I have to drive to another school.
  • S/He has a better job than I do. (I am "just) a teacher.)
  • They are more successful/more important.
  • They have better friends than I do, they are always going to games/concerts...
Comparisons steal joy from life and make it impossible to enjoy life.  I am trying to make a conscious effort to not spend as much time on Facebook.  At times I find Twitter to be overwhelming, but most of the time I find it very helpful. Facebook is where I struggle the most with comparisons.  

How do you deal with the comparing yourself to others?  How do you limit your Social Media access?

No comments:

Post a Comment