Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Sharing vs Connecting

One of my struggles lately is the idea of sharing on social media verse the idea of forming connections using social media.  Being home on maternity leave is wonderful, but I struggle with the lack of social interaction and I have found myself posting more often on Facebook.  It may be a random comment or a picture.  My life at the moment is consumed by Kiddo 1 and Kiddo 2, so many posts include them and their randomness.  

I find many benefits to being on Twitter, but I am beginning to question the role of Facebook.  At times, I find myself feeling like a slacker because I don't feel I  "measure up" compared to what I see online.  On Twitter it is easy to compare myself to what others have done and what I have not: I have not created a Twitter chat, I have not written a book, I have not created an organization and I am not an administrator. On Facebook, it is easy to compare myself to "perfect" lives others show in their pictures.

There is a place for social media, but I am concerned that we (maybe it is just me) are sharing post and pictures without really connecting with people.  We click the like button on Facebook, but do we communicate with others and make sure they are doing alright? Do we connect with them and enjoy their successes? Do we support them during times of struggle?

I know there is research about the dopamine that is released when a post receives likes and although I have not done a lot of reading on the topic, it is an area that interests me.  Life is wonderful and joyous, but it is also hard.  My life is filed with hilarious moments.  Toddlers have a way of adding joy, but they also bring moments of frustration.  This is real life, not the candy coated version we often see on social media.

It might be time for me to take a break from Facebook.  I know my family and friends appreciate seeing pictures of my family, but at times the level of frustration out weights the positives. It is time to text, e-mail or maybe even call people and connect with them instead of relying on Facebook and likes.

How do you balance connecting and sharing on social media?

No comments:

Post a Comment