Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 290: Class Dojo: A New Plan (Technology Tuesday)

Daily Blog Challenge 290/365

Technology Tuesday

There has been a lot of conversation on Twitter lately about public behavior charts and reasons why they are good or bad. I struggle with this because for some students, a public display is a quick and easy way to discourage a behavior. I cannot decide if this demonstrates that they have learned anything or if they are just avoiding the behavior.

In any group of students or people, there will be a group that will behave regardless, a group that will behave with a little prodding and another group that will behave will individual aids. In my experience, a public behavior chart only targets the middle group of students.

I used Class Dojo sporadically last year.  I am not sure how I feel about it as a tool to keep up on a screen, but I really like it as a tool to keep track of student's progress on standards.  It allows me to quickly keep track of standards that they are strong at and standards they are still mastering.

How do you use Class Dojo? How do you encourage positive behavior in your classroom?

Thank you for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I used to use Classdojo, but it didn't work out for me. I had many of the same reservations as you. I switched to idoceo for recording progress both behaviorally and academically. I've been reflecting a lot lately on how I encourage positive behavior in my classroom. I think it's a lot more complicated than any classroom management textbook would ever admit. I wrote more about it here:

    http://theylbrickroad.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-classroom-management-part-two-humor.html

    Thanks for a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I agree. A lot more time could be spent on classroom management in college. There is a new program out that is similar to Class Dojo, but it allows you to write notes on students. I will try to find the program name and send it to you. I look forward to reading your blog post, I am always looking for ways to strengthen my classroom management.

    Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment.

    -Marisa

    ReplyDelete