Saturday, June 7, 2014

Day 280: The Hierarchy of Teachers

Daily Blog Challenge 280/365

Today I was reminded that there is a hierarchy in terms of teachers. Many do not mean for it to be disrespectful but specials teachers are not seen to be on the same level as classroom teachers.

I admit I am biased, but if you want to see examples of differentiation and classroom management, find the specials teachers. I can't guarantee they will all be awesome, but these two skills are vital in these classrooms (even more so than other classrooms).

In my opinion, a good teacher is a good teacher. It has very little to do with what they teach. Sadly, this is not the view of many (even when those people mean no disrespect).

As a specials teacher how do you help change this perception? Specials are vital to our students success and there is plenty of research that backs this up. Despite the research, it is still an uphill battle in many districts. How do we help others see that specials are not just so other teachers can have prep time?
I would love to hear your suggestions. One of my missions next school year is to work towards changing this perception.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment