Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 277: Being Present

Daily Blog Challenge Day 277/365

I spent a portion of my night reading "One Decision" by Judith Wright. I have been slowly working my way thru this book and I am on a mission to finish it soon. One of the chapters I read tonight was about being present and living life in the moment.

Today I found myself very short on patience. Call it waking up on the wrong side of the bed or being cranky, but either way I was not able to positively handle many situations with my students today with out becoming annoyed. I experience these days throughout the year and I believe they are a common experience among teachers. The fact that we only have eight days left of school does not make it any easier. 

The book gave many examples of the frustrations that accur when we try to multitask our way through life. Upon reflection, I realized that this is why I become annoyed with my students. I am not truly present and I am not dealing with them in the moment.  Between an ever growing to do list and students who seem needy, it can be exhausting to deal with it all. In the end, my students deserve my attention and I believe many of the challenges I face in class would disappear if I would force myself to fully pay attention to my students. This is a painful realization to have, but in the end it will be positive. 

How do you stay in the moment? 

Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment