Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 281: Change

Daily Blog Challenge Day 281/365

This softball season has reminded me that change takes time and it is not always easy. I am also reminded of this as I continue to make changes to my elementary music program.

Change is a journey and it takes time. The important thing is to have a destination in mind, a plan on how to get there and to stay focused on the ultimate goal.  There will be challenges and not everything will go smoothly, so persistence is key.

Elementary music was cut from my district for a few years and many of my students and parents are not accustomed to having music twice a week. Plus, I have been told by many parents that music is not the same as what they experienced when they were in school.  Slowly, my students and parents will adjust to having music at the elementary music and they will get used to the new things I am trying to do: Facebook, Twitter, class website, Skype performances and videos to name a few.  This school year concludes my second year in this district and I know things will slowly get better the longer I am here. The key is to continue to go forth with the plan. 

As a softball coach I am going against years of what some of my players consider normal. I am asking them to build new habits and this takes time. Building trust also takes time.  Record wise this season did not go as well as I would have liked, but I see many improvements and I believe we have made baby steps towards my goals for the program. 

How do you make sure you stay on the right path as you try to make changes?  How do you deal with the disappointments? Change does not always happen at a pace that I am happy with, but I am learning to stay focused and stick to my plan. 

Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment