Saturday, November 30, 2013

Day 91: Listening

Daily Blog Challenge Day 91/365

Lately, I have spent many hours feeling like a complete jerk.  Is there every a time when it is acceptable to get frustrated with a student?  I realize that sentence probably makes me sound like a horrible teacher and person, so please let me explain...

I get tired of saying the same thing to the same students on a daily basis.  This goes for my classroom and on the basketball court.  At what point do we begin to think that the student is consciously making a bad decision.  I try to give them the benefit of the doubt as many times as possible, but after a while it is exhausting.

This is a dilemma I have been having both in the classroom and as a coach.  I don't expect miracles and I realize that what I see as simple is not always the same as what my students/players see as simple. I try my best to keep things simple.  The fact that many of my students fix their behaviors when I am watching leads me to believe that they know better, but are simply choosing not to do the "right" thing.

Do you ever feel like you are being mean?  How do you deal with this?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment