Thursday, November 28, 2013

Day 89: Getting Better

Daily Blog Challenge Day 89/365

One of the life skills I am trying to teach my students (mainly 3rd-6th graders) is that you can always get better.  I often see students and people in general give less effort because they are not as good as someone else.  I may never be as good at basketball as Michael Jordan (or fill in the blank with your favorite professional athlete), but I can still get better.

We need to remember to compare our self to our self, we are on our own journey.  My fourth graders are working on a challenging recorder piece for our Christmas Concert and for many it is frustrating.  My goal is to make them realize they can be better than they were yesterday, even if they are not the best.

No matter what we can always grow.  Reading, practicing, writing and conversations are all ways to learn and continue to improve.

What ways do you challenge yourself to improve?  I would love to hear your ideas.  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment