Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day 77: Sadness

Daily Blog Challenge Day 77/365

My husband (who is also a teacher) and I often discuss our frustrations with "this generation" of students. Tonight on our way home from the grocery store we had a similar conversation. We were discussing how our current students lack many of the like skills that we feel we had at their age. Our discussion centered around our frustration, but my frustration soon turned to sadness.

1. It makes me sad that students don't see adults as people to respect and learn from.
2. It is sad to me that many students get caught by their mistakes instead of seeing the world as full of opportunity.
3. It makes me sad that instead of working harder, many students put the blame on the teacher/coach.
4. It makes me sad that students don't see a purpose behind rules and details.
5. It makes me sad that listening skills seem to be lacking.

I become frustrated with my students at times, but realize now that I feel sadness for them.  They are missing many of the life skills I feel have guided and shaped my life. I need to focus on teaching (even after what feels like a thousand times) because my students deserve it.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment