Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 75: Feedback

Daily Blog Challenge 75/365

Recently, one of my basketball players expressed his frustrations with me. In summary, I have ruined basketball for him, all I do is yell and he never gets to play during the A game. 

Now I realize all feedback needs to be taken in context, but at first I was upset at the idea that I have ruined the wonderful game of basketball for a young person. It also was disturbing to me that he thinks I always yell at him because I don't think of myself (and don't want to be) that type of coach. 

I came to the conclusion that I could respond in three ways.  
1. Blow it off and forget about it. 
2. Take it personally. 
3. A combination of the two.

I take things personally anyways, so I was trying hard not to let this ruin the season.  In my opinion, when we are given negative feedback it is best to try to understand what the other person is trying to say and learn from the experience.  No one likes to be told they are wrong, but at the same time, we are not perfect, so it is impossible to not make mistakes.  My goal is to learn from my previous mistakes so I don't make them again.

What I learned from this experience...
1.  It is easy to focus on the negatives, I need to spend more energy focused on the positives.
2.  I need to do a better job of balancing positive and negative feedback.

How do you react when you are given negative feedback?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment