Friday, November 22, 2013

Day 83: Failure

Daily Blog Challenge Day 83/365

What do you do when you fail?

I know we would all be depressed if we only focused on results, but in life winning or loosing has serious consequences (jobs, money, family). I am a big believer in the growth mindset and I believe it is vital that we teach our children how to react to success and failure.  I hate the word failure because it seems so final. A mistake is not failure, a mistake is learning how to do something a different way.

Failure is always a learning experience and it is only negative if we let it. We should learn something from every experience in life, regardless of the result. 

My young basketball players drive me crazy because they believe that a good shot is a made basket and a bad shot is one this miss. This mindset is completely focused on the result, not the preparation or actions.

The Growth Mindset is a difficult concept for many adults to grasp and I have students who have difficulties with it too.

As a music teacher and coach, my students are exposed to failure on a daily basis.  How do you help your students learn from mistakes?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment