Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 193: What Do You See?

Daily Blog Challenge Day 193/365

Our thoughts are dictated by our previous experiences and are influenced by our beliefs. Two people with different beliefs can hear the same statement and interpret it very differently (which explains many arguments).

An important lesson I was reminded of after a recent disagreement is that I interpret a statement based upon what I would mean if I made a similar statement.  This can quickly lead to a misunderstanding because not everyone means what I would if I used the same statement. 

I cannot change how other people talk, but I can remember to not take their statements at face value. It is important to ask questions and listen instead of reacting prematurely. We can look at the same thing and not see the same object.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment