Friday, March 14, 2014

Day 195: Multi Tasking

Daily Blog Challenge Day 195/365

I recently learned how to use the multi tasking features on my phone. I was excited to learn something new and I know at times it will come in handy. Other times it is just a distraction.

I was talking to my little sister tonight and I put her on speaker so I could write a note on my phone about something she had told me. She was telling me about grad schools she was looking so I started looking at the website of one of them. A few minutes went by and I realized I had completely missed details of what she was tell me. I was responding automatically so she thought I was listening, but if I was being honest with myself and her I would have to admit that I was not really paying attention to her.

I have always thought my ability to multi task was a great trait, but I am realizing this is not true.
The other day I was cooking and instead of starting and completing one dish at a time, I was trying to work on multiple at the same time. It never fails that ever time I do this at least one dish does not turn out as well as it would have if I had given it my full attention.

It's a hard pill to swallow and it is hard to give undivided attention to something, but multi tasking is not helpful and something is always short changed. Now that I am aware of the issue I am going to fight the urge to do multiple things and to focus on the task at hand.

How do you ensure you are truly focusing on the given task?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment