Sunday, November 10, 2013

Day 71: You Matter

Daily Blog Challenge Day 71/365

Yesterday I received a friend request from one of my Alaska students. Tonight, I received a Facebook message from this same student. 


I know there are some that are horrified that I am friends with students. To be clear, I do not accept friendship requests from any current students or parents and my privacy settings are strict, so only friends can see pictures and status updates. After I moved back to Illinois, I did become Facebook friends with former students or parents from Alaska who sent a request. I did this so I could stay in touch with this community that was my family for two years. 

This also reminds me to think about what I might want to write or post, it makes me double check and make sure everything is appropriate for those who might see my Facebook.

Today was a rough day (blog post to come), but I could not help but smile after I saw this message. A boy I taught almost two years ago took the time to write to me. This reaffirms to me how important our role as teacher can be. We never know when we are making an impact, but we need to make sure it is a positive one. We influence those in our classroom, even if we never see the impact.
Always remember, You Matter! Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment