Saturday, November 9, 2013

Day 70: Teach Me

 Daily Blog Challenge Day 70/365

As a music teach I often get caught up in teaching music skills and I find myself frustrated when I have to teach "other" things. Lately I find myself harping on my students for not walking quietly or I a line down the hall, for constantly talking and other behaviors that I wish I did not have to deal with.

I consider myself a logical person, so I have to think that people do not like getting in trouble. I know that as a student and an adult I hate when I am told I am doing something wrong. Now, I know there are a million reasons why students may act the way they do, but I know for myself I often skip the easiest explanation. Yes, it may be to get attention or many other reasons, but what if it is because they don't truly know how to do something the right way? A frustration I am experiencing with many of my students is that they only act the right way when they feel like it (in my opinion). Which could be correct, but what if they don't know how they are supposed to act and it does not click for them until their teacher or parent is showing signs of frustration?

My job is to teach and although I wish I could focus on just music, I believe I would be doing my students a disservice. Instead of giving up on them I need to reaffirm my beliefs and work smarter at teaching them how to behave correctly. 

Always remember You Matter! Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment