Friday, November 1, 2013

Day 62: Time to Leave?

Daily Blog Challenge Day 62/365

I want to begin by saying I have no intention of leaving my current position, but a recent conversation forced me to reflect on the idea.

You don't have to stay at a certain school or in a certain position...

Fourteen words I was not expecting to hear, but they have given me a new sense of clarity.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working in my current position and there is nothing "wrong" with it, but through this conversation I realized that choosing employers is a bit like choosing a college.  Not every college fits every student and not every student fits every college.  Different students want/need different things and each college is set to meet certain needs/desires.  This does not make one school better or worse than others.

Music positions (along with many others) are at a premium.  At the end of the day, pickers cannot be choosers and having a job pays my bills, keeps a roof over my head and food on my table.  As a young teacher I was less concerned about the job than I was about having A job.  As I am in the profession longer, I realize that this may be the time to switch my mindset to just being happy I have a job (I am grateful and blessed to be where I am) and focusing more on finding a job that is a great fit for me (not saying my current position is not, but this new mindset opens the door for new conversations).  Just like finding the "right" college, every school does not fit the needs/wants of every teacher and the opposite is true too. 

I don't believe there is anything "wrong" with my current district or position, but this idea has opened up a new mindset and it has helped me reflect on my level of happiness and whether or not I am a good fit for the district/the district is a good fit for me.  I have not come a conclusion yet, but it has been a great time for reflection.

Are you in a position because of location/grade level/subject level or another situation? Are you at a position that you are truly happy with?  What variables lead to happiness with your position? 

No comments:

Post a Comment