Thursday, May 30, 2013

What is My Job?

I was recently on Facebook and I was looking at profiles of some of my friends I have not seen for a while. Looking at their career information made me feel a little depressed. On that night jobs like doctor, athletic trainer, manager and owner all sounded more impressive then being a teacher.  I mentioned to my husband that I was feeling like a slacker because many of my friends seem to have more important and impressive jobs. This led to a conversation about what being a teacher actually means. I don't mean to discredit any profession.  All professions are important, but sometimes the title does not clearly explain what the job entails. I strongly believe in the power of teachers and I see how important our job is to the future of our communities and our country as a whole. 


What It Means To Be A Teacher

1. Teachers model for students correct behavior. Teachers are role models who help instil behavior that is expected at home. Manners, respect and many life skills are taught and strengthened at school.

2. Teachers manage classrooms full of students who are all working towards a common goal of mastering new content. They cultivate a love of learning in their classrooms. 

3. Teachers evaluate students and create lessons and projects that strengthen their student's weaknesses.  All of this is done without the ability to fire students. Teachers work hard to help all of their students find success. 


As teachers, we have an amazing job! The foundation of our student's futures are built in our classrooms. It may not seem glamorous, but we are not just teachers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment