Saturday, May 18, 2013

Gamification-After Three Weeks

A few weekends ago, I stumbled upon the "Teach Like A Pirate" chat on Twitter and the topic was gamification.  I didn't know anything about this philosophy of teaching, but it seemed interesting, so I asked questions and followed along with what others were saying.  After learning more about the philosophy, I decided it was something I wanted to try in my classroom.  In all honesty, I don't know if I am implementing this philosophy in my classroom the "right" way, but I have had great success with what I am doing in class.

I created a Class Badges account and created a profile for each of my students in third and fourth grade.  This is a free online program where students can "earn" badges for different accomplishments.  I setup five different levels in my classroom and students are free to work through each level at their own pace.  I include a variety of skills and activities: Composition, Rhythm BINGO, Note Reading, Orff Piece and Recorder Pieces.  The students have to perform for me (or show me their composition/work) in order to earn a badge.

My favorite thing about this philosophy so far is that it allows me to have 1:1 time with students to see how they are progressing through different skills.  The students like "earning" a badge, so they are more willing to work on the activity even if they don't accomplish it the first time, which is something they struggled with at the beginning on the year.  I used Recorder Karate and they still earn a string belt to tie on their recorder, but having the badges has helped them stay motivated.  I also started using Rockin' Recorders this year and I award badges when students master a piece from this method also.  I have found this helps fill in the gaps of Recorder Karate and helps keep the students more motivated.

When I started this journey, I explained the process to my students and asked them if it sounded interested. They agreed to try it for the rest of the school year, at which point we would access if we liked it or not.  I am interested to hear their feedback after this week and I think for the most part all of my students have enjoyed the process.  It allows them a lot of choice and control in their learning.  The badges allow them a way to see how they are progressing.

Thank you to the "Teach Like A Pirate Chat."  It has been a great journey and I look forward to learning even more about this teaching philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment