Monday, May 27, 2013

What I Learned From Teaching in Alaska

In the summer of 2010 I moved to Alaska for a teaching job. Music jobs were hard to find in the Midwest at that time, so I decided to move when I was offered a position. I taught at a K-6 school with around 100 students.  I was hired as the music and physical education teacher.  My other duties as assigned included teaching second grade math one year and kindergarten math and reading my second year. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to teach in Alaska. I learned so much and my time there helped me grow as a teacher and a person. 

Top 10 Things I Learned from Teaching in Alaska
1. Relationships are the most important thing: between teachers, between teachers/students and between the school and families/communities. 
2. School may be the only consistent stabilizing force for students who have very difficult home lives. 
3. Strong traditions add to the school experience. All school Thanksgiving Dinner, 6th Grade vs Faculty Game and the end of the year 5K were three of my favorites. 
4. Working as a staff team makes life more enjoyable and successful. 
5. Many students miss out on experiences if they do not get them at school. Schools need to find and fill the needs of their community. 
6. All teachers have strengths and skills that other teachers can learn from. 
7. Each classroom should be unique and bring characteristics that are specific to the individual teacher.
8. As a teacher respect cannot be demands, it must be earned. 
9. Learning is fun!
10. Kids want to know that someone cares about them. Building a relationship and trust is vital!

No comments:

Post a Comment