Thursday, May 16, 2013

Goosebumps

Have you ever experienced a moment when everything gels, all your hard work pays off and your band or chorus sounds so amazing it gives you goosebumps? 

In my short teaching career, I have only experienced this one other time. This year I teach a 5th-6th grade chorus and a 7th-8th grade chorus. It has been a struggle and I have learned a ton. Today was a reminder of why I love music and why I teach. In the end, all of the struggles are worth it. We are getting ready for a concert and one of our songs in 5th/6th Grade is Home by Phillip Phillips. I wasn't sure what to do for the accompaniment, so I was prepared to try a few possibilities (Acapella, piano or karaoke track). I decided to try the Acapella option first and this is where my chorus completely amazed me. We have struggled with blending and staying on pitch. Today during rehearsal all of the stars must have aligned because it sounded amazing. My students even realized how awesome they sounded. It was a fantastic experience that left me with goosebumps. 

The icing on the cake was when one of my students turned to a friend and commented that it's amazing what they can do when they stop goofing around and they work hard. This rehearsal put the pep back into my step. A big Thank You to my 5th/6th Grade Chorus for letting me be apart of that moment and for reminding me why I love my job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment