Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I Love My Job

I realized tonight that people who  know me only through Twitter may think I am a very negative person and I don't like how that realization made me feel.

I love my job and I truly care for all of my students and the players I coach.  My goal is to give my students the best music education possible, while teaching them life skills.

This year has been overly stressful and it has made me think long and hard about what I do. I teach students, but sadly, very little stress comes from my students. Yes, I worry about all of them and I pray for their well being, but they are rarely the cause of stress. They are not perfect little angles, but throughout the course of this school year I have built a relationship with them and we have a mutual understanding.

The stress comes from the politics of education.  In the end it is the adults, not the children causing problems. I strongly believe that positive relationships will fix problems. Key relationships between the community, politicians, fellow teachers and administration are weak, which cause misunderstandings and stress. The field of education needs to focus on relationships instead of programs and fix these key relationships so the field as a whole will be less stressful. Stress is taking up valuable teaching energy and causing talented teachers to leave the profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment