Tuesday, May 28, 2013

AFC Has Talent 2013

I will openly admit that I complained a lot about having to organize the end of the year Talent Show. As a first year teacher, I don't have a lot of say when it comes to school traditions. My school cut elementary music for a few years and a teacher started the Talent Show as a way to incorporate music without having music class. Although I complained a lot and it was a time consuming process, the final product was amazing!  I work at a K-4 Elementary School and the Talent Show is open to all students. My school has around two hundred students and we had thirty performance that involved forty seven students. 

The Talent Show this Year was a great success and I look forward to organizing it next year. In years past it has been called AFC Idol and this year I changed it to AFC Has Talent, which allowed students to play an instrument as well as sing. 

Top 5 Reasons Why Every School Should Host A Talent Show
1. It allows students a chance to showcase a talent that might otherwise be hidden to their classmates and teachers. I was amazed at the musical talent of many of my students who performed. 

2. Music and the arts in general give students who struggle in traditional academics an outlet and a platform to be successful. 

3. It gives students the opportunity to practice performing infront of a crowd. 

4. It is a great school tradition that students look forward to each year. 

5. It is a wonderful way to advocate for music and to showcase the music abilities of a school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment