Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 4: I'm Done!

My 365 Blog Challenge:  Day 4/365

I'm Done!  This year, I refuse to be a watch dog.  I refuse to wait for students to "mess up" and then get upset because of their misbehavior.  I refuse to expect my students to be perfect and to never make mess up, even if it is something "we have talked about a hundred times."  I cannot control how students act in my classroom, but I can control how I respond.

This year, I am going to meet my students at the door and welcome them into our music classroom.  Once they have all found there spots, I am going to begin with a quick review of what I expect from them (walk in quietly, sit in assigned spot, participate, treat others with respect, take care of our equipment and help keep our room clean) and then we will move on to our daily routine.  When students "mess up" (which they will because they are human), I will calmly ask them if their behavior matches up with our class expectations. I will then ask them to fix it.  All of this will be done with empathy and in a manner which builds up my individual relationships with my students.  My focus is on positive relationships and to control what I can control! 

What things are you "done with" this school year?  I would love to hear how you are changing your classroom this school year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment