Monday, September 23, 2013

Day 23: My Reflection on the Bammy Awards

My Daily Blog Challenge: 23/365

Let me start by saying two things.
1. I didn't know what the Bammy's were until yesterday.
2. What I have learned about this year's awards is pieced together from Tweets I have read. I realize it is not the whole story and my intention is not to take sides or offend anyone.

Teaching is a profession that is often bashed and misunderstood. It is great that we have organizations that recognizes great educators. However, it is sad that most Americans and teachers in general have never heard of these awards. In my opinion, the purpose of these awards should be to share ideas and stories from teachers so that the profession as a whole can learn and grow. 

There is never a shortage of bad press about educators. We need to make sure we are letting the public know about all the great things that are ocurring in our schools. Awards like the Bammy's are a great opportunity to share the great things about education with people outside the field. It is the perfect example of positive press.

Teachers need to express the positives about our field. I know there are many frustrations and we can discuss those in the comforts of our home or teacher's lounge. These frusterations should not be aired in public.  Too many people are willing to give teachers bad press, we do not need to help them.

Awards should not be about being the best, but they should be about sharing ideas so we can all grow. With recognition comes a platform to share ideas. Twitter and social media are great tools to connect educators and I know that I would be a very different teacher without my PLN. Teachers need to stick together, work together and grow with each other. We can do far more as a group than any of us can as individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment