Friday, September 13, 2013

Day 13 Masters Programs

My 365 Blog Challenge:  Day 13/365

I am entering my sixth year of teacher (if I include all the random parts of my teaching career.)  I always thought I would start working on my masters after I had taught for a few years and I find myself at that point in my career, but there are so many choices.  I am very torn on the whole idea.  Other than the long term financial benefits, is it even worth it? Is it better to get a general education, music specific or a technology emphasis masters? Is it better to go online or through a local university?

1.  Is it worth it?
Positive:  Financially, a masters degree would pay for itself within a few years.  Plus, more education would make me a better teacher (in theory.)

Negative:  I never felt like I gained a lot from my general education classes, so I dread the idea of taking similar classes.  The best learning experiences come through experience in a classroom.  Plus, there are so many opportunities for development outside of just a masters degree (EdCamps, Twitter, etc.)

Outcome:  I am leaning towards a masters degree being worth the time and money.

2.  What should I get a masters degree in?
General Positive:  Budgets are tight and it is difficult to know if the arts will continue to be a part of the curriculum.  Therefore, earning a general masters degree will make me more marketable if the arts are cut. 
As I mentioned early, I disliked many of my general education classes in college.  The idea of spending more money on similar classes does not fill me with excitement.

Music:  Taking more music related classes would help me be a better teacher.  I would learn ideas and concepts that relate to my field. 

Technology:  Technology is becoming a focus point in our schools and having more education in this area could help my career and it would help improve my teaching.

Outcome:  I am leaning towards a masters degree in music or technology.

3.  School Location
Online:  It would be more convenient, but they often cost a bit more.  Also, it would allow me to go through a program that is not local, which gives me more options.

Local University:  I live near many schools that offer a masters in education and the ROE does Cohorts.

Outcome:  I am leaning towards an online program because they are more flexible.

I would love to hear about your continuing education journey and the questions/answers you came up with.





4 comments:

  1. Hey Marisa!

    I completed my first graduate program in a hybrid format through a public university. ~85% online and ~15% face-to-face.

    My second graduate experience with hybrid as well with some video conferencing, some online classes and a few summer face-to-face classes. This, too, was through a public university.

    Good luck in your search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt! There are so many options and choices that it can be overwhelming at times.

      Delete
  2. Marisa,

    A degree in Educational Technology could be helpful in your music classroom. There are lots of new technology tools that you can integrate into the classroom. I agree that with so much personalized PD and so many workshops available, it almost seems like a waste of time, energy, and money. Nonetheless, I will be returning to get a Master's because that is the only way my license will be recognized through reciprocity.

    BTW -- What is ROE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tiffany! Sorry, ROE might be an Illinois thing (Regional Office of Education). Best of luck with your masters! Do you know what program you are doing?

    ReplyDelete