Friday, September 20, 2013

Day 17: The Ball is Rolling Away

My 365 Blog Challenge:  Day 17/365

One thing I have learned about myself in that past few years is that I need routine and structure.  I started this blog challenge 20 days ago with the goal of writing everyday and I already find myself four days behind schedule.  My routine has been off this week and I find myself consistently feeling behind. I use my mornings as my time to get stuff done: blog, read, exercise, dishes and pack lunches.  My day seems chaotic when I miss this time in the morning (which happens when I stay up too late the night before.)  Without this routine, the days seem to fly by and everything seems like a mess.

As an adult, I have control over my schedule, yet it amazes me how easy it is for it to get messed up.  One missed day quickly turns into two or three and so on.  This makes me think of my students, who have very little control over their schedule.  They are at the mercy of their family.  I know that lack of structure adds stress to my life, but what about them?  I can't control my student's schedule, but I can make sure that I am at my best so that I am able to teach at a high level.  I was not at the level that I would like to be at this week.  Lack of structure made me feel out of sorts and lack of sleep made me cranky and although I try very hard, sometimes it impacts those around me (sorry to my husband.)

Some days I feel like I am chasing a ball down a hill.  Just when I think I have caught it, something happens.  I am more motivated after this week to make sure that my routine is where it needs to be.  My students deserve my best and I am committed to making sure I take care of myself so that I can do my job (that includes being a good wife, daughter, sister and friend.)  In the end it is not about me; it is about my students and they deserve the best regardless of external situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment