Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day 10: Great Moments

My 365 Blog Challenge:  Day 10/365

I received an e-mail one night from the Early Childhood (ECE) teacher at my school asking if anyone was able to cover her class during two times the following day because she had IEP meetings.  I was not able to help during the morning time, but after checking my schedule, I realized that I had fourth grade during the afternoon time that she needed help.  I decided to step out on a limb and offer to take her seven students (on top of my seventeen fourth graders.)

I have never taught pre-school music, so I was not exactly sure what to do during a forty minute class period (with students who have never had a music class before).  I talked to a few music teachers and came up with a plan: a short video clip, echo activities, African Drums, a singing game and movement.  I trust the class of fourth graders that was going to be helping and I was confident that they would do a great job.  They exceeded my expectations!  I was impressed with their patience, kindness and their willingness to help.  They did not complain about having to miss their normal music activities or about having a combined class.  They were excited at the opportunity to help and many of them saw it as a chance to practice their babysitting skills.  The ECE students, who do no go to specials, were so excited to have music.  It was a fun class!

My Takeaways from this Experience...
1. Students will (typically) rise to the occasion if you give them clear expectations.
2. Music (specials in general) are a great outlet for all students.
3. Music (specials in general) are important because they allow another area for students to be successful.
4. Helping younger students is a great experience for all students.  It helps them feel responsible and important.  It was exciting to see my fourth graders, who are shy, working with the ECE students.
5.  Don't be afraid to try new things.  Amazing things can happen!


No comments:

Post a Comment