Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 24: The Positive Side of Life

My Daily Blog Challenge: 24/365

It is easy to get bogged down with frustrations and the negative aspects of being a teacher. After spending time reflecting on the beginning of this school year, I realized that I have many things to be thankful for. There are many positives about my current position. 

1. My administration is supportive.
2. I work with many talented and amazing people.
3. My students are great (I am not biased :).
4. I work close to home and enjoy a short commute.
4a. We live close to both sets of parents which makes visiting both families easier.
5. My husband and I both have jobs in our degree areas and we are able to pay our bills.
6. I am able to coach basketball and softball.
7. I am given great freedom in terms of curriculum and lesson plans.
8. The staff as a whole is supportive of the Arts.
9. I am allowed to try new things and think outside the box.
10. My room is full of instruments.
11. I am blessed to have many great mentors.
12. I am blessed to have an understanding husband who does not get upset when I stay late at school.
13. I get to teach music mostly full time.
14. I get to explore technology and teach a media class.
15. I have very few requirements in terms of performances.
16. My students (for the most part) enjoy music.
17. I have 40 students in 5/6 Chorus, which is almost twice the size of last year.
18. I have my own classroom and I do not have to worry about my classes making too much noise.
19. I have access to technology.

2 comments:

  1. My Methods students call it being negative Nancies. I have no idea how they fixed on Nancy as the name to attach! I appreciate your focus on the positives. This is a good reminder to myself not to be negative. You're right--it's easy to fall into that habit, even when you like your job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elisabeth. What do you do to help you stay positive?

    ReplyDelete