Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 25: Run Streak is Over

My 365 Blog Challenge:  Day 25/365

At the end of last school year, I challenged myself to complete the Runner's World Holiday Run Streak.  The goal was to run a minimum of one mile everyday from Labor Day until the Fourth of July.  The Fourth of July came and went and my Run Streak continued.  It became a habit and I enjoyed the journey.  It was supposed to last 40 days, but I kept it going until 110 (minor nagging injuries make me decide to give my body a rest.)

I kept a detailed spreadsheet with information about each run: distance, time, weekly mileage/time and overall mileage/time.  It may seem a little compulsive, but without this date, I would not have realized how much progress I made.  Overall it was a great challenge and I learned a lot about myself and the process of change in general.

Lessons Learned from 110 Days of Running...
1.  My mind is stronger than my body.
2.  I can do more than I think I can.
3.  The possibilities are endless.
4.  Many things in life are "long" term and we need to look at the big picture in order to see improvement.
5.  Goals are important.
6.  I often achieve success without ever knowing it.
7.  The "crazy" is possible.
8.  Do what I know I need to do even if I don't feel like it.
9.  Priorities get done first.  Make the important things in my life a priority.
10. Success is achieved through baby steps.

I believe these are all important lessons for our students to learn. It's hard work to stay focused on something long term, but it is very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment