Monday, April 20, 2015

Day 20: What are you working on NOW?

What are you working on NOW? What are you trying to get better at?

Right now I am trying to getting better at student engagement and assessment (using this information to improve my instruction.)

I like to meet my students at the door, but in the past this has led to a bit of "free" time.  I recently started having a video playing while my students walked in the door and this has helped a lot.  Students immediately have something to do and know what is expected of them.  At the same time, it allows me to quickly meet with my students 1:1.  Right now my students love Lindsey Stirling music videos.

I use Class Dojo off and on and I really like the concept of the program.  I have changed what I give points for a few times and right now I am sticking with working hard, persistence and attitude.  My biggest struggle with Class Dojo is giving points throughout class without it interfering with my ability to teach.  I recently saw on Twitter how teachers have special privileges for when students reach certain point levels and I really like how this could work.

In music, one of the struggles of student engagement is making the students believe that what they are learning is possible.  Some students hear the music we are going to play and immediately believe it is too complicated for them.  This belief usually results in students not participating or they make poor decisions.

I don't believe I will ever master student engagement or assessment.  Each student is different and has different needs, but I can continue to grow in this area and get better each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment