Thursday, April 9, 2015

2 Miles

Tonight I am sitting in the comfort of my own home as I watch videos and pictures of the damage and lives changed by a tornado. A tornado that missed my community and home by less than two miles. A tornado that damaged property and homes of friends and people I know.  A tornado that came too close.

I have lived in the Midwest my whole life (minus a two year adventure in Alaska) and I have never experienced a storm like this. My husband was outside picking up hail and I was on my phone when the sirens went off. We knew there was a possibility of bad weather but we had no idea it was that close. 
For one reason or another I have been annoyed and stressed lately.  School is busy, softball is in full swing and lots of changes will be happening soon.  I have been cranky with my husband and after tonight none of my (great) reasons for being annoyed or irritated matter. 

Tonight I am letting my little girl sleep in my bed and I am not at all concerned if she sleeps a second in her crib. Tonight I want to be close to my family. Tonight I want to hold them close and remember what and who are really important. We can live our lives assuming people are out to get us or we can love the people in our life and accept that sometimes they will not think of us first. People matter, relationships matter.
Tonight I am safe in my house while others only a 15-25 minutes away have had their lives changed forever.  Tonight I am praying for all those impacted. 

Love the people in your life. Forgive those around you. Make the choice to be happy. Take time for hugs and cuddles. Tonight, hold your family close. Tomorrow, hold your students close.

No comments:

Post a Comment