Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Day 7: Has Anyone Ever Helped You In Your Career?

Has anyone ever helped you in your career? Been your champion? How will you become someone else's champion?

I have been blessed throughout my career to be surrounded by fantastic educators (who just so happened to be great people too.)  My two years in Alaska have had the most influence on me and led to tremendous growth as a teacher and a person.

Personally, living alone in a place where I did not know anyone and was three time zones away from my family, gave me the opportunity to grow and become confident in my identity.

Professionally, I was able to call some fantastic teachers coworkers.  I was the young one on staff and many of the experienced teachers took my under their wing.  One of the greatest gifts these teachers gave me was telling me that I had a gift as a teacher.  I tend to question myself a lot, so having a great teacher tell me that I was doing a good job was helpful for my growth.

I think it is hard to tell in the moment who we might be a champion for, but I think it is important to remember that these moments can happen at any time.  A champion is someone who encourages and supports someone.  As an educator I can do this for my students and I can help encourage and support my coworkers.  Everyone needs a champion!    

No comments:

Post a Comment