Monday, April 6, 2015

April 6th: What Was Your Most Recent "Awe-Inspiring" Moment In The Classroom Today?

I love making music with my students.  There is nothing better than that moment when students find the groove on a new piece of music and are jamming together.

Grandparent's Day is quickly approaching and I decided to go a different direction and have my fourth graders play Crazy Train.  I was not sure if we would be able to pull it off in only six rehearsals, but I decided to give it a try anyways.

Today was our fourth rehearsal and our first time trying to put it all together.  We don't have enough xylophones for everyone so we had to be creative.  I have three students playing the bass part on xylophones and six more playing this part on boomwhackers.  One student is playing a rock beat on drum set (he came in after school last year to play drums), three students playing beats two and four on hand drums and five students playing the melody on xylophones.

We put it all together today and it was AWESOME!  This moment reminded me why I teach music and why I love music in general.  Most of my students don't realize how challenging what they accomplished is or how many different skills are involved, but they did it!

I can't wait for them to perform for the school.  Just another example why music is AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment