Thursday, April 23, 2015

Day 23: How Transparent Should Our Profession Be?

I struggle with the idea of transparency.  I believe parents and the community have a right to know what is going on inside their public schools and their children's classrooms.  I also believe that teachers are professionals and they need to be treated as such.  This is where the line gets cloudy.

Teachers endure ridicule and negative comments more than many professions.  Part of this is because choice is limited.  If I am unhappy with my doctor, I simple stop going to them and I find a new one.  Same goes for pretty much every company and item I own (car, phone, computer and insurance.)  Parents do not have this choice when it comes to their child's teacher.

Our profession should be transparent, but please remember that you are dealing with people.  People who sacrifice a lot of time and energy to create lessons that students will find engaging.  People who have to manage 20+ students at one time, who all come with their own unique needs.  People who give up time with their own families in order to fulfill their professional responsibilities.

We need transparency in education but we also need humility.  We need to treat each other kindly. Imagine the impact on student learning if teachers and parents worked together instead of against each other?  Students cannot have too many allies looking out for their best interest.  There is power in numbers and amazing things can happen when teachers and parents work together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment