Saturday, April 4, 2015

April 4th: A Moment of Humanity in the Classroom:

April 4th:  A Moment of Humanity in the Classroom:  Think about a moment in your teaching experience where there was a "connection" between you and a student or a group of students that resonated beyond content.


It has been a challenging last few months for my district.  Like many schools we are experiencing budget cuts and seven teaching positions have been cut.  My position is among those on the chopping block.

The Tuesday morning after the decision became official was difficult.  The morning started with me receiving a phone call and being reprimanded for doing something as a coach that I thought was right and positive.  Between that and the stress of my position being cut led me to tears.  I hate crying in front of people, but sometimes it cannot be helped (not one of my brighter moments). 

The tears continued to fall regardless of what I tried to do, so I sat at my desk trying to hide the fact I was crying from my students.  My fifth graders were wonderful!  A few of them saw through my lies that everything was alright.  All they knew was that I was sad about something.  They worked on their iPad coding projects.  They were worried about me and a few of them came and gave me hugs.  Their showing of empathy was amazing.  They also made me this sweet card (which of course made me cry again.) 

I want to show my students strength, but sometimes we have to admit that we are not unshakable.  My students showed great empathy and reacted so well to a strange situation.  The lesson plans did not go exactly as I wrote them, but sometimes a lesson in humanity is more important. 

#AprilBlogADay

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that showing our human side as teachers is just as important as remembering our students are people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janelle, thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I agree, it is important to remember our students are people too. It can be easy to forget, sometimes we need moments like this where we remember and focus on relationships.

      Delete
  2. Marisa,
    This is beautiful. This show of passion makes you more human to your students. It deepens the bond you have together. No need to hide your tears from them, as you experienced.

    The lessons you taught that day were more important than the ones you had planned.

    Best wishes for a good outcome with your position.

    Sincerely,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise,

      Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete