Friday, February 22, 2013

Using your Strengths

My old principal always encouraged us to make our classroom unique. She wanted our students to remember their time in our room because of something that was based on us.

In my opinion, one of the great things about being a teacher is the freedom to make your classroom unique. We should all strive to strengthen our weak areas, but I also believe that our classrooms should also focus on our strengths. Include the unique features of your personality and abilities to make your classroom a unique experience. There are many ways to do this.

I remember seeing a drum set on a wish list for another general music teacher and I never understood having a drum set in my room, but now that I do, I can't imagine teaching without it. I am a percussionist and I have had a drum set in my room for two years now. I use it as a play along, during listening games and during many other activities.

I am not saying everyone needs a drum set in their room, but I suggest including things that make your classroom unique. If you play guitar, if you play piano, if you play another instrument or if you have another interest.

I want my students to be excited about music and about learning in general. I also want them to remember their time in my classroom for positive reasons: events or activities. I am alright with being the music teacher who plays drum set.

What are you known for? What activities to kids hear about before they are in you room? What things in your room do they talk about at lunch and recess?

No comments:

Post a Comment