Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Trying Not to Become "That" Teacher

Definition of "that" teacher: Using the same books/worksheets/materials year after year. Never putting in any extra time and leaving the minute the contract says is acceptable. These teachers are the warnings and nightmares we hear about in teacher prep classes. Overall, I do not believe there are many of these teachers, but the horror stories themselves prove their point.

I think most people would agree that teachers who lack passion need to retire or find a new profession. I was always confused why anyone would let themselves become this type of teacher and I vowed that I never would. Over the past few weeks the frustrations of teaching and playing the game that is the politics of public education has been overwhelming. Frustration leads my brain to over thinking, which produces many ideas; Some crazier then others.

Through these frustrations I had a realization that they stem from my caring about my profession, my school and my students. A lot of that stress would be eliminated if I could find a way to limit how much I care. I could show up at 7:50 and leave at 3:20, never spend extra time and sing the same exact songs every year. The next realization is that I don't know I could be happy teaching this way. It is fun to try new things and to learn new methods, songs and ideas.

This frustration has helped me realign my focus and my philosophy. That part of the experience has been beneficial. In the end it always comes down to the fact that I have two hundred kids who deserve the best music education that I can give them. Instead of being the teacher from horror stories my goal is to be the teacher that I would want my own children to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment