Thursday, February 7, 2013

Recorder

Each year I tweak things in order to make things better and easier for my kids. I have done recorder a few different ways, but here is how my program works now.

Overall Program
-My district starts band in 5th grade, so recorder is part of the 3rd and 4th grader curriculum.
-I start recorder 3rd quarter with 3rd graders. We do recorder off and on throughout 4th grade.
-Each student has a recorder they barrow from the school and it never leaves my classroom.

Specific to 3rd Grade
-We begin our Recorder Unit by having 15 seconds of craziness- Before I have taught them anything I let them play as loud and obnoxious as they want. This gets it out of their system and I have less problems later on.
-My students have music twice a week for forty minutes. For the first three weeks we focus on a specific note each week. I use rhythm Flashcards, play alongside from different method books and echo drills. Our focus is transitioning rhythm to recorder without having to worry about notes.
-This year I am using the Rockin' Recorder Method. Each student has their own packet to take home, so they can practice. We will not use these until the second month of recorders.
- I am a percussionist, so I include a lot of drums into my lessons. My students really enjoyed playing recorder when I play drum set. I used my two toms to signify the notes B and A and they had to echo my pattern.
-We focus on a lot of rhythm reading on one note and echoing patterns.
-As we focus on 1-2 notes we do student echoes and simple composition projects.

Specific to 4th Grade
-We focus more on Recorder Karate. Each class makes a goal on how many belts they must earn each semester. The second class of the week is usually Belt Testing day, but that depends on our schedule and their behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment