Friday, February 22, 2013

Evaluating Students

I hate grading and trying to find a system that I am happy with has been a constant struggle. This year I am transitioning my grading to standards based, but I am still not sure if I am happy with this process.

Although I hate grades, I see the importance of evaluating my students. Students need to know what they did well and what they need to improve on. Grades were created to show this progress, but I no longer believe that they fulfill this job. Letter based grades are too vague. If a student earned a B on a project, they need to know exactly what they could have done to get an A. They also need to know exactly what they did well. I realize that what I propose is extremely time consuming. I have over two hundred students and I can't imagine having to write all of this for each student. This being said, I think we owe it to our students to find a way to relay this information to them and their parents.

Rubrics and standards based grading are two evaluating processes that I think can help give students specific feedback. The overall goal is that students know exactly why they lost points and exactly why they earned points. If we believe they earned a lower grade, then there needs to be specific feedback as to why they earned it and how they can get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment