Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My Love and Logic Journey

One of our inservice days last year was with a speaker from the Love and Logic Institute. This was one of the best institute days I have been involved in and for the past year I have been slowly adding more parts of the Love and Logic Philosophy into my teaching. I strongly recommend the book "Teaching with Love and Logic" to all teachers and parents. In the end, this philosophy is about changing your words and changing directions into enforceable statements.

As with any change, it is vital to start with a small piece. The first "line" I added to my repertoire was "Your behavior is causing a problem for me. Can you please fix it?" instead of owning my student's problems, I am doing my best to make them figure out how to fix it. The second "line" I added was "don't you hate when that happens." This is the perfect sentence to cure all cases of tattling.

My main goal through this journey is to give my students choices. I want them to be responsible for solving their own problems and in charge of their experiences in my classroom. When I don't revert to my old self, teaching is more enjoyable and the day is more fun. My next skill to add is using more empathy when giving consequences.

How is your love and logic journey going? What was the hardest change to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment