Monday, February 11, 2013

The Importance of Music

It seems February is the month when music teacher's schedules get double checked and the question "Why do we need you?" seems to always appear. Justifying my job has to be one of the most frustrating parts of my job. After conversations with many people recently I was confronted by a difficult realization. Is it really possible to "prove" to people that music is important? There have been countless studies and research papers that explain the many facets of music education and why they are vital to our children's education. Even armed with this information, can we really prove that our jobs are worth keeping around. At the end of the day, NCLB dictates that our children must show growth and many school districts have taken the approach that subjects that are not on the test are of less value.

I am not writing this post to be Mrs. Negative, but I am trying to be realistic. We can only teach our students what they are open to learning. I don't believe that adults are any different. This is not to say that I am throwing in the towel and admitting defeat. I am realizing the challenge. Part of the "Love and Logic" approach that I use in my classroom is holding students accountable for solving their own problems. I am going to follow what I preach. No one else should be responsible for solving my problems. Data and research do not seem to be working, so here are some of my ideas that I think (and hope) will work. This is an uphill battle for all of us who call themselves music teachers.

-Fill my classes with so much fun, excitement and learning that my students are constantly talking about music when they are at home.
-Invite parents in for class so they can see what music class looks like in 2013.
-Invite administrators in for class performances.
-Invite administrators and teachers in to experience the struggle and learning that occurs while preparing for a concert. (Give them an instrument, let them sing along).
-Include music in as many school activities as possible (think outside the box).
-Maintain an up to date website that keeps parents knowledgable about what is happening in music. Look into other ways of doing this too: videos, pictures, newsletters...
-Apply for grants- awards are a great publicity source for all programs.
-Fill in the blanks, be prepared to advocate for the arts without notice.
-I know it is clique, but "Kill them with Kindness."

Rereading my list makes me a little frustrated because few other teachers have to experience this. They just get to "teach," but I have decided that "fighting" the challenge is a better option then hiding in a corner and being overly frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment