Sunday, December 17, 2017

Book Review: The No Complaining Rule

The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work


Over Thanksgiving Break I started and finished 'No Complaining Rule' by Jon Gordon. I appreciate books I can read quickly and I love books that have a "simple" message. I know simple is not always easy to implement, but they are easier ideas to digest and hopefully I can implement them quicker.  Change is always a process. This book is set up as a fable, so I found it easier to understand the concepts Gordon is trying to teach. There was one main idea that stood out to me.

I don't like ____, BUT ______.

I found this to be the most powerful idea in the book. When we spew complaints we are venting and not sharing anything positive. The stories we tell ourselves impact how we see the world which in turns impacts how we feel. Just because we don't complain does not mean that everything in our life is going great and that we are happy all the time, but it does mean that we are telling ourselves positive stories. The "I don't like ____, BUT ______" statement let us say our complaint while framing it in a positive way. For example, "I don't like my commute, BUT I am glad I have time to listen to audio books." "I don't like that my children don't sleep through the night, BUT I appreciate the extra cuddles." This tool has been powerful when I remember to use it. These statements allow me to recognize my frustration but also say it in a more positive way. 



Book: The No Complaining Rule

Author: Jon Gordon

Main Message: Complaining creates separation and negative energy. I can still express negative thoughts, but it is about how I frame them and the words I use.


Key Points I Want to Remember: "I don't like ____, BUT ______."


Actions Steps: It takes conscious effort and intentional behavior to make change.

No comments:

Post a Comment