Tuesday, December 26, 2017

A New Path

I recently read a tweet and saw a video that have stuck with me.

The tweet: "Greatness does not come without sacrifice."
The video: How would you evaluate your teaching? How would you evaluate your family? Can both receive the top score at the same time?

There is a movement right now called Kids Deserve It. Full disclosure, I have not read the book. I'm sure it is a great book but the name rubs me the wrong way. I truly believe the authors have the best of intentions, but sometimes what I see other's write in response to the moment worries me. Yes, I agree. I think kids deserve it. I have no issues with the idea and I am really not trying to bash them. Many of the teachers seem like amazing teachers, but I do think we have to be careful about the words we use. I also believe my family and I deserve it too. If we are not careful we become martyrs and do things because it is what is "best for kids" while we neglect our own health and families.

This last year has been rough. To say I have not handled it well at times would be an understatement. Leaving a position, moving to another state, interviewing and starting two new schools in the span of 6 weeks all while trying to keep my family safe and thriving has been a challenge. It has been hard! I work at two great schools but meeting the high expectations for myself often comes at a cost. Unfortunately my family and my own health are often the victims.
January 1st offers us a fresh start. A new outlook and hopefully a refreshed mind and body as we enter the second semester in our schools. I have tried to do the One Word project and I am reusing a word I tried a few years ago, intentional. I am going to live my life intentionally. I have spent much of the last six months with my life running me and I disliked every minute of it. Nothing will change if I am not intentional. Instead of resolutions I want plans. How I am going to achieve my dreams is far more important than what I am going to achieve.

Receiving a high score on an evaluation is not worth the sacrifice to my family. I don't know all the answers but I know the path I have been on for the last 6 months is the wrong one. The stress, the sleep deprivation, the anger and the lack of focus is not worth it. There has to be a way to be successful at home and at school. 2018 is my year to be intentional about both areas of my life. My kids in my classroom, my kids at home, my husband, family and friends and myself all deserve it. Here is to 2018! Living intentionally and finding a better path. It's not one or the other. There has to be a way to be healthy, have a strong family and also be a successful teacher. During 2018 it is my mission to figure out how to do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment