Saturday, November 25, 2017

Positive Emails Home

How do you connect with families of your students? As a music teacher, I find it a challenge because I have a large number of students and I see them for such a short period each week. Throughout my career I have found a few tools that really helped me. It always takes me a while to figure out the school culture and what tools will work best at each school. 

I am at two new schools this year and so far I am still in survival mode. Trying to figure out how the schools work and stay on top of my classroom requirements.


  1. Positive emails home are a tool that I used last year. Parents love to see how their kid is doing and to know how things are going. Often they only hear about the rough days. We live in a "no news is good news" world, but sharing positive news makes everyone's day better.
  2. I printed post it notes with a positive message. It was easy to fill out and students could post them to their daily planner so they did not get lost.
Sending home positive notes seems like an extra step and it is, but it can do wonders for students and parents alike. 

2 comments:

  1. YES! I sent positive emails home every week last year! Now that I'm in a district position, I still make an effort to send positive emails each week...but usually, they are to teachers or coworkers (and sometimes CCing their principals on) about the great things I've seen from them :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending positive emails to your coworkers is a great idea! I need to make this more of a focus once I get past the survival mode of being at a new school. Thank you for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete