Monday, June 17, 2013

Engaged

Whose job is it to engage students?

This is a question that I have really struggled with this year.  I don't remember having a choice to be engaged as a student, but now its seems the responsibility to engage students is on the teacher.  I struggle with this because I know from experience that adults do not have a choice to be engaged (in a work situation, choosing not to be engaged can be detrimental to continued employment) and I believe that this is a skill that our students will eventually need to learn.  My conflict has been should I teach my students how to be engaged even when they don't want to or should I make sure that my class is always engaging?

On my mission to control only things that I can control, I am trying to make sure my classroom is as engaging as possible.  In my opinion, this goes back to building strong relationships with my students.  When I know my students, I am able to plan activities that they are more likely to enjoy.  I also see the benefits of exposing my students to new ideas and concepts, but it is easier to do this when there is a base of activities that my students enjoy.  I have found the easiest way to increase engagement is to give my students choices.

Easy Choices to Give Students...
1.  Allow students choices in how they show their mastery of concepts or skills.

2.  Allow students choice on the order they accomplish different tasks.

3.  Let the class decide which order we accomplish daily tasks.

4.  Let the class know the plan for future projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment