Monday, March 9, 2015

State Testing

I completely agree that our students, teachers and schools need to be held accountable, but I don't agree that weeks of testing are the answer.  In my experience, I have seen very little positive impact of these tests.  When I was a student, these tests were a mere blimp on the radar.  Now, these tests take up months of class time.

Here are my questions and thoughts regarding standardized tests.

  • Why are people outside of classrooms in charge of making decisions?
  • Why are outside people not allowed inside our classrooms when we are PARCC testing?
  • Why do we thinking testing is the answer?
  • If standardized tests are an accurate measure of learning than students who receive and A or B in their classes should have to issues.
  • Core subjects seems to be an acronym for tested subjects and these are the subjects that "really matter."
  • Testing reminds students that they are not good at something.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the PARCC test.  As educators we need to use our voices in a beneficial way.  Although I am not sure what the best course of action is, I do believe knowledge is power.

No comments:

Post a Comment