Monday, March 9, 2015

Memories


My husband was given popcorn as a Christmas gift from one of his students.  I love popcorn, but he has never been a fan.  He has recently learned that if he covers popcorn in butter and jalapeno salt.  This was a great moment for me.  Popcorn from stove popper brings back great memories and I am excited to share this with my husband.  

My grandfather grew popcorn and would use a Whirley Pop on the stove to make regular popcorn and caramel corn.  During the holidays, buckets of caramel popcorn would fill his kitchen.  One of my favorite possessions is the popcorn bowl that my grandfather would use.  My family lived five hours away from my grandparents and within an hour of us getting to his house myself or one of my sisters would "convince" him to make us popcorn.

It is amazing to me how the simple smell of popcorn brought back all of these memories.  I could see my grandpa standing in front of the stove making popcorn for us and shaking caramel popcorn in a brown paper bag.

What kind of memories do our students have about school and our classroom?  What can we do to help ensure these memories are positive?

Memories are an amazing thing and I want my students to have positive memories of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment