Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 266: Dress Code

Daily Blog Challenge Day 266/365

There has been a lot of conversations and article lately about the topic of school dress codes.  I keep hearing the argument that dress codes are aimed at the female population and we have them because boys cannot control themselves.  I am by far not the best person to discuss fashion and I am a self-conscious person so I rarely wear anything that would cause a dress code violation, but I do find the arguments intriguing.  While I partly admire how some can wear clothes with parts of their body hanging out (I wish I was that comfortable with my own body), I question the need to wear this type of clothing.  I also believe these two arguments are only focusing on part of the problem.  They are completely forgetting the fact that there are dress codes that are aimed mostly at the male population (wearing pants too low that their underwear show.)  They are also forgetting that most dress codes that have to do with showing too much skin are not popular fashion for men.  I feel confident that if a boy came to school in shorts too short or a skimpy tank top that he too would find himself in the office for violating dress code.  The fact is, this type of fashion is only in style for girls.

Even as a female, I have issues with girls wearing too revealing of clothing and I would feel the same way about boys wearing similar styles.  I personally don't want to see those parts of their bodies and I don't see any need for it in general.

I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment