Saturday, May 31, 2014

Day 273: Where Do You Turn?

Daily Blog Challenge Day 273/365

I recently attended the confirmation service for one of my husband's cousins. During the sermon, the pastor asked the congregation where we turn when we are facing challenges. This question really stood out to me. As a Christian, the correct answer to this question should be that I turn to God. As I reflected on this question, I realized that I have not been doing a good job of this. I have focused on other ways of "making" my life better without focusing my energy on what really matters. I know this is a natural part of life and I am glad that I was able to hear this sermon because it made me refocus on what is really important in my life.  I know I get caught up in thinking other things can fix my challenges: getting more sleep, relaxing or getting more done. These may all help, but they are not where my energy should be completly focused.
This question also made me think about  non religious situations.

What do you turn to? What do our schools turn to? What do my students turn to?
For me, my focus needs to be on my relationship with God. In general, I believe we need to focus on relationships. It seems easier to focus on the other extras, but I don't see these as having as much impact as relationships. 

Often, I hear of schools that focus on curriculum and textbooks as a way to "fix" there problems. Education seems to turn to curriculum and "better" tests. Imagine the power of schools focused on relationships?
Many of my students turn to acting out to deal with challenges they are facing. Imagine the power if we could help teach them a positive way to deal with challenges?
We all turn to something or someone when we are facing difficulties. What we turn to has an impact on our future decisions, our level of happiness and our life in general.

What do you turn to?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment