Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 271: My Soap Box

Daily Blog Challenge Day 271/365

How many classes require students to work together? I know many classes do group projects, but lets be honest, the students who care the most do the work and the rest of the group is along for the ride.
The Arts are not like this. Having a great sounding choir, band or musical requires everyone to pull their weight and do their job. It is hard to hide people who struggle with their part in an ensemble.  For many students, the Arts are the only time they are forced to work as a team. Teamwork and cooperation are two important life skills for future success.

There is a lot of research that proves the benefit of the Arts, yet many schools and administrations only support the Arts when it is convenient.

My school recently had our final concert of the year and I was annoyed by some of the comments. I was reminded that many people do not truly understand the importance of the Arts (at least in my opinion). I realize few of my students will become music majors or professional musicians, but in the end that is not the point. Each year at graduations around the United States, many of the successful students have a common variable. They were involed in the Arts. This is either a crazy coincidence or there is something more important going on. I believe it is the latter. The Arts teach life skills that lead to success.

I realize the Arts may never recieve the same respect as athletics and in my opinion that is a shame. The Arts bring so much joy to people's lives and it is a life long skill.

Being a music teacher for me is not about creating professional musicians, it's about using music as the medium to teach students life skills and to expose them to the joys that music can bring to their life.

I will step off my Soap Box now. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment